Nigerian Service Chiefs May Be A Little Weak, I Accept Responsibility - Buhari Admits - UPDATES MEDIA NG

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Monday, January 7, 2019

Nigerian Service Chiefs May Be A Little Weak, I Accept Responsibility - Buhari Admits

President Muhammad Buhari says he accepts responsibility for not changing the Nigerian service chiefs even though they may be a little "fatigued."

The President says his dilatory disposition in reshuffling the security bosses is a strategy based on his understanding of the security situations in the country which necessitate thoughtful rather than impulsive decisions.

The president said, “I accept responsibility. But my understanding of security is that when there is a state of emergency, the president should not be tampering with heads of security. But we have to be careful. This is one of my personal experiences. I had been a governor. I had been a minister. I had been a head of state. I came back. Three times I tried to come to this office three times. Three times I ended up in Supreme Court. So, really, I measure the office very critically.

“During the time of emergency, if you remove the heads of security, if you are not careful, then you will create competition within the service. There are many officers in the Army but only one man can be the Chief of Army Staff. Only one man can be Chief of Air Staff. Only one man can be Chief of Naval Staff. Only one man can be Inspector-General of Police.

“It was this administration that appointed all of them. I didn’t know any of them really. I followed the records and I think l picked the best men. Of course, their performance may be a little disappointing… There is really what I can call fatigue. But I accept responsibility for not changing them. It is based on my experience.

In one instance of such reluctance, President Buhari has delayed replacing the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Ibrahim Idris, whose tenure lapsed on January 3.

Following Nigerians groundswell against the delay in replacing IGP Idris and other service chiefs including the increasingly searing massacre across the North-East, an enraged Nigerian has reportedly issued an ultimatum to President Buhari alleging his retaining of IGP Idris is because he(Idris) is Buhari's lackey. 

The President, in reaction, during an exclusive he granted THISDAY’s Board of Editors in the State House, Sunday night in Abuja, said, “I will act.”   Saying, “I saw it on the television. Somebody had given me last warning. I saw it."

“I have accepted responsibility. I don’t think I am afraid of him and I don’t think l have organised a roadblock to say that I will lose some part of my revenues if I remove him. I will take action.”

No comments:

Post a Comment