My children can bear my wife’s surname, man says - UPDATES MEDIA NG

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Monday, May 7, 2018

My children can bear my wife’s surname, man says


A Nigerian man , Chukwuebuka Nnaemeka Chukwuemeka , has said that he doesn ’ t mind his children bearing their mother ’ s surname as well as identifying with her roots .
Chukwuemeka , who is a language editor at Oxford University Press according to his Facebook profile , said on Monday that the choice of what name and hometown to claim are essentially that of his children , just as he can choose what surname and hometown to claim based on his personal circumstance .

See his Facebook post:
“When I told a friend that I wouldn’ t mind my kids bearing their mother ’ s surname and nativity , he thought it was one of my numerous jokes . But I was serious .
As I tried to give him my reasons for having such inclination, he thought it was one of my feminist sermons . But it wasn ’ t about feminism .
“Most of my ideas about fairness and freedom stem from my personal idiosyncrasies.
“I am easily given to the advancement of free- thinking and liberty , one that does not infringe on another man ’ s rights and peace . Perhaps this is the reason I easily speak up for feminism , homosexuals , and irreligious folks.
“Yes , my wife would be free to bear her surname , register my kids’ names with her surname and even make her native town that of my kids .
“This is not about feminism . (If feminism preaches such cause, then it is by accident that our thoughts align . ) Rather , this is about me , who I am, the way I see life — a NO Big deal .
“For instance , I have always preferred to identify Ọkụzụ ( corrupted as Awkuzu) , my mum ’ s town , as my native town to whoever that asks.
“ This was not to push a feminist cause, but to avoid unnecessary cynical questions I get from some people when I tell them I am from Ụmụeri (popularly corrupted as Ụmụleri ) because of the town ’ s history of war and violence with some of her neighbours , especially Agụleri and Ụmụọba Anam.
“As a banker, I mentioned Ọkụzụ instead of Ụmụeri as my hometown . And it worked for me , until dad challenged me to rise to the task of declaring to the world the hidden virtues of his townsmen and be the voice to correct those narratives I do not want to be associated with.
“I agreed with him . And I am happy he was able to understand that I could decide to change my nativity to that of my maternal home based on my personal circumstances .
“Culturalists may argue for order . But in an advanced world , these things work perfectly with digitalized administrative documentation . When my kids become adults , they should be able to denounce Ụmụeri and identify Akọkwa or Ihiala or Mbaise or wherever their mother hails from as their native town .
The district commissioners will file their registration . And that ’ s it. In fact , as long as one is an Igbo and could prove it through their birth certificate , this shouldn ’ t be a big deal in an ideal Igbo nation .
“I do not think it is by having my kids bear my name that will make my name live forever . In fact , I don ’ t intend to change my surname from Chukwuemeka (my grandfather ) to Nnaemeka ( my father ) . Yet, who knows Chukwuemeka !
“If my kids decide to bear Chukwuebuka as their surname, that ’ s their business , I won ’ t stop them .
“I only hope that by the time they start reading and writing , my book would have been ready, so that they ’ d read about their father ’ s ideas , and realise that their individual choice is more important than whatever culture or religion prescribes . ”


DON'T FORGET TO HIT SHARE BUTTON

No comments:

Post a Comment