I can’t settle with Tunde Kelani unless we go to court –Baba Wande - UPDATES MEDIA NG

Post Top Ad

Your Ad Spot

Sunday, May 13, 2018

I can’t settle with Tunde Kelani unless we go to court –Baba Wande


Veteran actor , Kareem Adepoju , aka Baba Wande , speaks on his career , the movie industry and other issues

Which schools did you attend ?
I went to modern school in Agbor, Delta State. After my modern school education , I started taking part in theatre productions .
What stirred your interest in acting?
When I was in elementary school , a certain man used to teach us drama and that was when I developed the love for acting.

Was your family in support of your acting career ?
My family did not support me but they did not kick against it either .

Can you recall the first productions you took part in ?
I can recall some of them such as Adam and Eve ,
Joseph and his brethren , and many others .

You started your career with the Duro Ladipo Theatre Group . What were some of the lessons you learnt while there ?
Duro Ladipo used to stage historical plays and I was interested in that , so I joined them . In those days , you must be truly talented before you can become an actor . You had to be able to sing and act .

Which do you regard as your breakthrough movie?
I really cannot single out a movie and say it was my breakthrough; I like all the movies I have taken part in . Before the advent of home videos , we had been acting in stage plays in different places . Some of the notable stage plays we did in those days included
Orogun Adedigba, Ekuro Olaoja, Oba Igbalode , and many others . When film came , I acted with Hubert Ogunde in productions such as Aiye and Aropin n t ’ enia . I acted withTaiwo Hassan ( Ogogo ) in movies such as Omo Orukan. Personally , I also wrote scripts for movies such as Ti oluwa ni ile , among others .
There was a controversy about who actually owns the movie, Ti oluwa ni ile . Can you clear the air on that?
What actually happened is that I wrote the story and Tunde Kelani established a production company . He was the one who produced and financed the film. We both agreed that we would split the proceeds of the movies ; he would take 70 per cent while I would take 30 per cent . The movie was in three parts but when it was time to make the second part , he ( Kelani ) said he wouldn’ t give me anything out of the proceeds of the movie again . Till today, I have not gotten anything else from the movie .
How come the issue hasn ’ t been resolved between both of you over the years?
It cannot be resolved unless we go to court and make a lot of noise publicly . However, I don ’ t want anything to disturb me . I am not ready to go to court with him but our children may decide to do that in future . Our children are more exposed and they may want to exert their rights over the movie later .
Most people know you as an actor not a writer . How often do you write scripts ?
I am a very prolific writer and I actually wrote the scripts for all the movies I have produced. I am a playwright, actor , singer , composer , and many other things rolled into one.
How did you develop your talents?
As a stage actor , we used to go on tour to all the parts of the country, including Igboland and Hausaland . It was in the course of those travels that I began to develop myself in different areas. As a good stage actor , you must be able to act , sing and dance. Back then , I used to lead the group.
Do you have plans to release a music album someday?
I honestly don ’ t have such plans . If I want to record an album , it would be traditional Yoruba music that would teach people a lot of lessons . However, I prefer to use my music as soundtrack in movies . I record the soundtrack for most of my movies .
How often do you go on movie sets these days ?
I have stopped producing movies for now because of the antics of marketers . Whenever they sell our movies , they don’ t give us the money. For the last film I made , Agbabiaka , I had to give it to LTV 8 to sell for me . If I produce any movie now , I would upload it on the Internet and sell it there . I wouldn’ t give it to any marketer again . However, whenever I am invited on set , I heed the call and I go there .
In what ways have you been able to harness the benefits of the Internet for the advancement of your career ?
The Internet signifies progress . It ’ s better for an actor to have his or her own website. That way , all the actor ’ s films will be uploaded in one place . By doing that , the marketers wouldn’ t be able to rip us off anymore .
How would you describe your style of acting ?
I think it would be better for the viewers to decide that . They are the ones who see me whenever I am in action . However , I would attribute everything to God.
What qualities must an actor possess to be successful?
Firstly , he must be someone who is honest and has integrity . He should also be patient and truthful. He must be ready to learn before he can become a master in the game. Before I became an independent actor , I spent about 25 years under the tutelage of a master . It is your boss that would put you through so many things so that you don’ t make mistakes . Above all , you must be prayerful and wait for God ’ s time .
What do you consider before accepting scripts ?
I check if the story has lessons in it and would not corrupt people . I believe that at the end of our lives , God would ask everybody what they did with the talents He gave them. If one takes part in a film where they parade themselves naked or where there is a lot of violence, that person would answer to God.
Nudity and violence are a part of most movies these days . What are your thoughts on that?
They act based on the limit of their thoughts and understanding . The truth is that many people also buy those types of films , which shows that they like them .
Are any of your children following in your footsteps as a thespian ?
None of them has taken it full - time but they do it by the side. They always take part in my productions.
Would you encourage them to take it actively ?
I would encourage them but I would want them to conclude their education before venturing into the industry .
You have always advocated a film village to be situated in Osun State . Is there any move being made to make that a reality ?
It is not a job for one person and that is why I suggested that the government should assist. However , we didn ’ t make much headway. It would cost the government a lot of money because they would have to put a lot of facilities in place such as hospitals , banks , police stations , and every other thing needed to make it an independent community . If we have a film village , the quality of our works would improve. We wouldn’ t need to go begging for locations and louts wouldn’ t be able to harass us .
What are some of the most notable moments of your career ?
I am happy that I was able to do all that my peers did. When it was time for me to go on pilgrimage to Mecca, I went there . When I wanted to travel to other countries such as the United Kingdom, I was able to go . I have also been able to provide quality education for my children . I thank God for His mercies.
Can you recall some memorable experiences you have had with fans?
Wherever I go , I am always assisted whenever I need help – in hospitals, banks or big offices.
Have you ever experienced any disadvantage of stardom?
One of the disadvantages is that people think we are very rich because we are popular . The demand on us is a lot . Louts always disturb and extort money from us .
What do you love most about being an actor ?
I am happy that as an actor , I have been able to do things with the talent God gave me . My films would always be a record of the things that I did, even when I am no more .
You have been an actor for over 50 years. What are some of the most important lessons you’ ve learnt over the years ?
As actors, we also learn from our movies . The same messages we pass to our audience is what we also gain from . However , I give God the glory for every success I have achieved in my career. I don’ t think I have done anything special .
How have you handled your female admirers over the years?
They like us and we like them too . For those that respect us , we respect them too .
There are reports of sexual harassment in the industry nowadays. Were things like that common during your early days in the profession ?
In those days , people were given jobs solely on merit . You had to learn under a master before you could become an actor .
Are there things you wish you could have done better in the past ?
I really cannot point to anything that I would want to change . I don ’ t lie and I would never do that . I am content with whatever I have and I do not pass my boundaries .
Do you train young actors ?
Yes , I do . They usually come for rehearsals and they gain a lot .
Are you ever going to retire as an actor ?
An actor doesn ’ t retire ! There would always be stories and roles suitable for any age . The older you get , the more experience you have. Once you are talented , it can never leave you .
Do you have any projects you are working on at the moment ?
I have some good stories that I am ready to sell . I learnt that there are some people who buy such scripts online .
If you were not an actor , what would you have become ?
I would have being a footballer . When I was in school , I used to be the captain of the team.
How do you relax?
I read the Koran .
How do you like to dress?
I like to dress in a normal way There was a time I used to wear jeans a lot but now , I wear more of traditional attire .

No comments:

Post a Comment